After Sydney

Feb. 11, Saturday 3:30pm. Just heard from my sister(by email)( we do get email for those who want to write us) who asked about the table where “dee burd” was. It was under a bath towel cabinet (used for the pool) adjacent to our pickle ball court. Today the Tasman Sea is quite calm. 78degrees with 88%humidity. Very nice. After a little research, I can verify that “dee burd” was not a “booby”. I knew you might be worried. We still have many “boobies” perched around our pool today. They are just so happy sunning themselves and cackling away. By the way, I expect to see scores of “boobies” on my trip to Bondi Beach in Sydney tomorrow. Stay tuned for THAT report.
Feb. 12, Sundeye 4:00pm. Ellen survived her climb. Over 3000 stairs and ladders. Panoramic view. Only seven fellow passengers did the climb with her. She was the oldest. What an Amazon!!! Now for my big news. There were thousands of people on this half mile of beach. It was really crowded. Marathon swimming going on(over 1000 swimmers) and big surf(big enough to knock adults head over heels). All ages on the beach, blanket to blanket. Shoulder to shoulder in the water. It’s a Sundeye and all the locals were out with temps in the nineties with humidity. I should be in luck. NOTHING! Not one topless beauty. First, NO Bora Bora native women then NO Tahitian dancing girls then only huge Maori MEN dancing in New Zealand and now a beach that looks like York in the summer. I give up!!!
5:45pm. Sydney is a beautiful, beautiful city. Clean, lots and lots of big stone buildings, many parks, tons of shade trees, many big Gothic churches, great history, a lot of young people, bars, cafes , and restaurants. The harbor is very busy with ferries, sailboats, pleasure boats, and sightseeing craft. We could live here easily. Our new boat could be put to good use here.
8:30pm. Here are a few facts about Sydney and Australia. National sports are Cricket, Rugby, and Australian Rules . The Koala is not a bear. A district in Sydney is called Wooloomooloo. Sydney boasts a yearly average of 342 days of sunshine. Over 4 million Sydneysiders live in Sydney.
We left Sydney at 6:30 this evening on our way to a city in northern Australia called Cairns(pronounced cans). When we passed under the bridge around 7 o’clock, the Princess blasted her horn several times. Our passengers waved at the groups that were still climbing on the bridge, and they waved back. Quite a sight!! A little bit more awesome than going under the Weirs Channel bridge.
We have not seen a kangaroo yet. Maybe my luck will change. Chow for now.
Feb. 13, Monday 1:30pm. Ellen signing on with more details about my climb yesterday. I knew we would be with a professional guide, but still a bit nervous. Then more nervous after the details of preparation and doing all the equipment and safety checks. Had to sign a paper saying I was climbing at my own risk, then had to pass a breathalyzer test. No problem! Then all kinds of medical questions. Still ok, good to go. Could not take anything with us, no food, water, camera, phone, jewelry, watch, hat, and all clothes off except underwear and closed toed shoes. We then put on jump suits(cute!) with snaps at wrists and ankles to keep them tight. We were fitted with a cap that was clipped to a link on the back of our necks, along with a head set to hear the guide. We wore a tight thick belt with a tether on it that was clipped to a cable that was used on the entire climb. I was allowed to wear my sunglasses with their neck croakie , again clipped to that link on the back of my neck. Also, outfitted with a handkerchief on each wrist for sweat etc., which we tied in knots and tucked in to keep from flapping. It is above 90 degrees. Getting weak already.
Next was PRACTICE, on some steel ladders and steps. Passed those skills and ready to go.
Walkways, ladders and steps all narrow, and had to climb under sometimes and duck down ,so as not to bump heads on steel. Pipeline rails all the way. Cars and trains on a road below, the bay full of
boats below the road, and helicopters above us. Noisy at times! Had to hang on with both hands and watch every step carefully. Ladders were steep with 25 steps in each section, with one person only on that section at a time. Had to go down backwards. Got to the top in 1.5 hrs. Down in an hour. Had no problems, except shaky legs at the end . Easier than some White’s in NH. Views incomparable. We walked where they set off 7000 fireworks on NY’s eve. An unforgettable experience! Celebratory wine time back on the ship. Day 40 of 111 day trip today. Captain Monkey.El's climbing group.JPGHarbour Bridge.JPGBondi Beach.JPG